Saturday, February 2, 2013

Catch up

I haven't posted anything in awhile.  Sorry.

Thanksgiving into Christmas was hectic and January was recovery time.  I hosted Thanksgiving again this year.  9 people--Mom, Dad, Jason, Paul, Gail, Dan, Susie, John, and me.  Everything came out well.  I tried CB's turkey rub with the brine this year and it was fabulous!  The loose herbs fell into the pan and made the gravy highly flavorful.  And it is always good to include some friends as well as family.  I was thankful to be surrounded by them (also, always thankful for Jason who cleaned the entire house beforehand).

The madness of Christmas in retail did not hit nearly as hard in the new location as it did in the mall.  A nice break for a change.  I think every gift I gave was in a black and white CB box.

I hosted Christmas as well.  My Dad protested that I shouldn't have to do both, but I enjoy hosting so I was happy to do it.  I decided on a ham since I have never made one before.  There are a LOT of varieties of ham that I had never thought of before--bone in or out, water brined, fresh, dry cured, spiral sliced, whole, butt end or shank end... I went with a water brined, spiral sliced, bone in 13 lbs ham.  And then I burned it.  DOH!  Fortunately, I caught it early so I cut off the burned bits and continued on.

Uncle Matt was kind enough to come over and pull Jason duty (aka, cleaning).  He helped me get everything set and ready and then afterwards, stayed and washed the dishes.  That is a very sweet man. Dinner was another success with another 9 people--Mom, Dad, Uncle Matt, Paul, Dan, Susie, Ellen, Ashley and, of course, me.  Ellen said, "I have never had a holiday meal with so many vegetables.  Well done Sarah."  Yay me.

Christmas is also a time for visitors.  In addition to getting to spend time with my favorite uncle, Nolan and Tennille were in town for a long visit.  I picked them up from the airport and had drinks with them and the older Leakes.  Then all five of us went to Fat Matt's Rib shack on Saturday for lunch, a first for them.  Tim and Mel threw a Christmas party so I got to catch up with them and every body else there.  Good times with good people!  And Fielding, I only see you once a year, but yes, I love you too.

Sorry that this is a picture free post.  I was also fighting some depression over the holidays and the camera usually gets set down during those times.  But I am doing much better and will have more to post soon.

I hope the holidays were full and joyous for all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment