Saturday, September 10, 2011

Death Valley by way of Yosemite


So, I am driving to Atlanta from San Francisco.  By myself.  And with no timeline.  The benefit of not having that thing called a job.  I'm doing it in a half-planned way of calling friends across the country and telling them to air out the guest bedroom because I'm coming to visit.  The fun part is that they are not all on a straight line and I have as much time (as $$ allows) to zigzag between them.  Yay!

Day 1--drive to Death Valley.  Not very well thought out on my part but an enjoyable ride all the same.  No easy way to get there...
Started at sea level in SF and drove up Yosemite National Park to 10,000 ft. and then all the way down to 2000, back up 5000, and down to sea level again in Death Valley.  Greg’s mix was great and got me through Yosemite.  And made me laugh.  Cruised to my AK/CA mix before that.  I made it until 3ish before I got tired and needed caffeine.  But in an audio book, _Smash Cut_, to carry me through the rest of the afternoon/evening.  CA 290 was a fun road but way too many people on it.  So happy when the road finally opened up and I could really call it the "open road."  Inyo Park reminded me of Alaska but not quite so grand.  I had cell and internet at surprising times.  Not at all in Death Valley or CA 190.  Turned Prudence (my GPS) off for a couple hours when my directions and hers differed.  Arrived at Stovepipe Wells around 6:30 to spend the night.  



See Chrissy, I made my wish and the trip is on!


lost that hub cap again

Look Ma! No guardrails!



Followed this guy through a long stretch of Yosemite

The snow has started.  Do you think they call it termination dust too?





These little guy were everywhere and in every color.  Some rental company must have gotten a great deal






1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I envy you the road trip. And I am glad to see Prudence doing her share in the opening shot.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete