Tuesday, September 13, 2011

see something other than the strip

Today Alison and I took off for the Hoover Dam.  On account of my occasional claustrophobia, we opted on the tour of the power plant instead of the dam.  Cool tour to see the workings of turning a river into electricity production.  The elevator was unpleasant but didn't send me screaming through the halls.  Our tour guide was funny and knowledgeable.  I won't claim to have understood everything, but the parts I did I was interested in.

Don't pour booze in a glass or shoot it

Sending the power out takes many towers


I did see anyone who looked like this guy



Dividing line between NV and AZ





Native American mosaics in the floor of the power plant


We walked the dam and walked the new bridge above it.  Coincidentally, the bridge is partially named after Pat Tillman,  and I watched The Pat Tillman Story last week.




Finally. Nevada welcomes me.


We had lunch at a great mom and pop joint called The Southwest Diner in Boulder City on our way back.  Alison convinced me to stop and smell the cacti.




We weren't the only ones strolling through the cacti

Looks like a stool but don't sit down

Teddy Bear, don't you just want to hug it?!?

Cow's tongue prickly pear

Saw lots of lightning each evening, but no rain or thunder.  We took in a show, Mystere, at Treasure Island.  The worst Cirque du Soleil show I've seen.  Mildly entertaining and more than a little confusing.  I'm hoping that something went wrong and they were just covering it.  We had dinner at a little Cuban place that had great food (I had the "old clothes"--delicious!).  And then off to bed to rest for a long day of driving tomorrow.  Goodnight!

ps, Thanks again Alison!!

No comments:

Post a Comment