Tuesday, September 13, 2011

explore Utah

Day 4--After 2 days of relaxing with Alison, I'm back on the road.  Taking some great advise from Alison, I meandered over to Utah route 12.  One of the most scenic roads I have ever taken and that is saying something.  The road started in red rocks, gave way to gorgeous canyons, climbed into the alpines, and then dipped back into sandstone and desert.  The first couple times I saw the "Vista Point 1/4 mile", I drove right by--big mistake.  I expected it to be more of the same.  But each big turn brought a completely new view (these pictures don't do it justice).  So my 6 hour drive took 8.  But I had music from Patty and started the audio version of Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain that I read years ago.  I like hearing him read it and the inflection, or lack thereof, in his voice.
You know how I am usually the fastest or second fastest on the road?  The scenery was so beautiful that I let everyone pass me by.  Now that's something new...


The openings between rock can be really narrow



my favorite street sign

what happens when erect billboards in the middle of nowhere




living in the middle of nowhere














beginning of the rainbow

I found it and followed it







trusty Jetta




And let's not forget the rainbow...
started following the rainbow...

It's either a sign that I'm on the right path or that I need to turn around and go back to the Castro

looks like the rainbow is holding off a storm


when you chase the rainbow, sometimes you find rain
And let's not forget the cows that own the road...

"Is it clear"

"Sure is cause I'm walkin"


You want to go where?
So anyway, finished the drive around 6:30 and spent the night in Torrey, UT at the Sandstone Inn, and headed to CO tomorrow.  Dinner at Sandstone was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment